“Scaling up and mainstreaming innovative approaches on ecological movement into activities of universities – 2020”
Sponsor agency: Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung
Center for Development of Community Initiative and Environment (C&E)
Timeframe: April- September, 2020
It is essential to strengthen the capacity for a more ecological and participatory lifestyle among young people and create foundations and pathways to develop ecological lifestyle education in Vietnam as well as in the region. Center for Development of Community Initiative and Environment (C&E) is a Vietnamese NGO working with the community and grass-roots. C&E has developed a national network of youth groups and grass-root organizations that work in the field of sustainable development and environmental protection. C&E has rich experience organizing capacity building for youth, particularly through Ecological Lifestyle and Youth Change Vietnam.
Under 02 projects: “Partnership to support and promote informal and non-formal education for advocating ecological lifestyle and climate change adaptation and mitigation in Vietnam Universities – 2015-2017” and “Scaling up and mainstreaming innovative approaches on ecological movement into activities of universities 2018 – 2020” supported by RLS with the aims to create an effective eco-network engaging individuals, trainers, universities and organizations into acting towards eco-lifestyle and sustainability education and to promote the idea and practice of ecological lifestyle education among universities and youth networks in Vietnam. Especially, based on the result from survey data, regional TOT, advocacy workshop,….C&E will be responsible for facilitating the review and integration process of these project and providing case studies from its work with the community and the youth in Vietnam. They will also provide linkages with other Vietnamese NGOs and international organizations working in this field to the programs. The C&E will involve students with not only in-class teaching but also extra-curricular activities, such as field classes to raise environmental awareness and embed a sustainable culture.
To deepen the project’s impact, in the year 2020, C&E will work with experts for co-coaching TOT training and practice of ecological lifestyle education among universities and youth networks in Vietnam. C&E wants to adapt the idea of socio-ecological transformation into its activities philosophy.
The overall expected outcome of Scaling up and mainstreaming innovative approaches on ecological movement into activities of universities – the year 2020 is supposed to align with RLS’s orientation towards socio-ecological transformation (SET).
In terms of operative principle, the project will utilize SET as the approach to development. Given the current overemphasis on economic aspect and limited attention to ecology and social domains, we deem that SET will be more effective in promoting community development and helping to tackle ecological and social issues. The activities are supposed to draw target participants and the public’s attention to contemporary environmental challenges and social challenges in conjunction with economic growth to motivate them to work out viable solutions. Therefore, the project is expected to help accelerate just transition.
Furthermore, educational methods learnt through C&E’s experience with RLS during COP24 will be applied to the operation of the project. Informal and non-formal will be the focal approaches when learner-centered activities are designed to provide experiential learning. Multi-perspective is also encouraged so that participants will be able to reflect on their professional roles from different positions to first, help them to understand others’ views and then to encourage them to address challenges in more creative and effective ways. Besides knowledge, the project will also focus on developing target participants’ skills and attitudes so that they will have the necessary tools for their future cause.
Finally, through education, the project aims to disseminate SET in the context of Vietnam. Given that SET is a relatively new concept in Vietnam, the project aims to first introduce it through formal talks and workshops and then invite participants to apply it in their personal and professional.
Generally, the project aims to:
- Promote ecological lifestyle and movement among the young Vietnamese and integration of socio-ecological issues/transformation into university activities through education; and
- Raise public awareness of youth ecological movement in Vietnam.
TOR OF TRAINER FOR THE TRAINING OF TRAINERS
Title of position: Training of trainer “Promote Socio-ecological Transformation (SET) into university: Promote the integration of socio-ecological issues into educational programs”
Detailed description of activities:
- In this training, participants are representatives from universities and youth organizations that committed to integrate socio-ecological issues into their programs. Participants will sit together to discuss about the challenges and opportunities of integrating socio-ecological issues into curricular and extra-curricular program. They will have a chance to learn and practice the experiential learning technique.
- Participants who are future ecological trainers will have a chance to not only learn but also experience the socio-ecological issues that they should direct their learners to follow and practice experiential learning technique. Together, they will develop detailed plan to implement future socio-ecological issues activities in their organizations. Furthermore, they will listen to and discuss with experts on the field about the methodologies and skills needed to deliver trainings on the subject effectively
- In addition, participants will be able to participate in experiential learning to be effective in the integration process. Theoretical learning combined with practical will help participants have an overview, suitable with specific conditions. Participants will have a day in the field to enhance the practical value.
- This course also aims to broaden the network “Action Network for Sustainable Development in Ecology and Society” to engage more universities as well as organizations into promoting ecological lifestyle in Vietnamese youth and connect them with other stakeholders that share the same vision.
Output of the activity: a 4 -days experiential training on socio-ecological education with at least 35 participants from different universities and organizations. Therefore, there is a need to find practical methods of socio-ecological issues education that is both effective and attractive so that participants will not only be more interested in taking part but also will integrate more actions and changes in their work.
Duty station: Hà Nội city and Ninh Bình province, Vietnam
Duration of post: The time required for trainer for 04 working days from 24-27 September 2020.
Number of speaker: 5 trainers
Duties and responsibilities
* Work with project coordinator about the content and ensure the flow the event.
* Discussion with trainees for the possible issues relating to the content and the successful implementation of the event;
*Respond any questions from all audience of the training based on their experience and position.
- Build the content of TOT along with project coordinator
- Prepare detailed content and training materials for TOT
- Run specific TOT section related to their expertise
- Facilitate activities during the TOT
C&E-Rosa project coordinator has overall management of the work of the consultant. The consultant will be in direct contact with the C&E-Rosa project coordinator. She/he will work under the supervision of the Rosa Programmer Officer and will be ultimately responsible.
DEGREE OF EXPERTISE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Background: society, environment, sustainable development, community development, natural resource management, education,….
- Working experience of at least 5-10 years relevant
- Sound experience in the role of consultant of programme and large workshops/seminars/training events
- Excellent interpersonal skills and interactions in a dynamic context
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and in stressful conditions
- Working experience with Vietnamese Government agencies
- Language requirements
- Excellent communication skills in Vietnamese
Submission of candidatures
Candidates interested in this consultancy will submit the following:
Applications including a curriculum vitae (CV) need to be sent to Ms Tran Thi Kim Hoan email@example.com no later than Sep 15th 2020.
Only accepted applicants will be contacted.